Crafting Gentleness

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fare well, Da

Hi all,

I haven't been blogging for the last while because my Dad died. My Dad was my mentor, a prince of a man, a man of deep gentleness, a man of great dignity. I'll miss him.

Now that he has passed, I am very conscious that any work I might do relating to gentleness is very much part of his legacy. He may have used other words, he may have spoken about his path in ways that I would not, but I aspire to the kind of relationship with others that he lived.

What he had to teach me, I eventually realised, wasn't really any sort of information I needed to remember; rather, what I needed to learn from him was a way of being-with, a way of being present, a way of sitting. If I can remember a little of what that feels like and try to put it into practice, I'll be doing okay.

I dedicate this work to my parents.

1 Comments:

  • I'm sad to hear about your father, and very touched to read what you wrote about him. What greater legacy can there be to leave gentleness behind? And a son who fully appreciates it! Ian

    By Blogger Ian | Quantum Learning, at Monday, 24 November, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home