Crafting Gentleness

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Words Can Heal

I thought that this site/campaign had gone by the wayside, but I'm glad to see that it's still up and running ...

http://www.wordscanheal.org/

"Words Can Heal is a national campaign to eliminate verbal violence, curb gossip and promote the healing power of words to enhance relationships at every level."

"At a time when so many feel that outside events are beyond their control, we offer concrete tools and know-how to dramatically rebuild our communities and relationships through the words we speak and the way we communicate."

4 Comments:

  • Anthony ... I was a little put off when I saw Tom Cruise on the lost of prominent people. But apparently he's involved in some useful things as well - not just Scientology! There's some good stuff in here! Thanks for sharing. Ian

    By Blogger ianpeatey, at Saturday, 20 December, 2008  

  • Aye, I know. I should fess up and say that I first heard about this campaign while I was watching Oprah one idle afternoon a few years back. It links in nicely with what I refer to as the 'standing beside me test', in the helpful thinking section of the crafting gentleness site. In my experience, subtle misrepresentations of other people can easily slip back into my ways of speaking, despite my explicit better intentions. They can become a habit again so quickly if I don't keep an ear out for them.

    By Blogger Anthony, at Sunday, 21 December, 2008  

  • Nice campaign! Have you heard of Non violent communication? If you look it up on youtube, you'll find some videos of the inventor of it, I forget his name. It's all about how we usually talk in a dualistic way: one is the loser, and one is the winner, one is better than the other... but he suggests talking about our needs instead, in conflict management, so instead of gossipping or cutting people down to their face, we can tell what our needs are, and try to have everyone's needs met. Good luck and enjoy! Rachel in Canada.

    By Blogger Rachel M., at Saturday, 31 October, 2009  

  • please email follow up comments to my last comment to me at this address! thx.

    By Blogger Rachel M., at Saturday, 31 October, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home